[log in to unmask] writes:

The  discussion about legal use of quotations is timely since the
listserv has received a stern letter from the estate informing us  that
not only quoting lines from the poetry but also the titles of  poems
must cease.

We are seeking clarification from the  estate as to why referring to
titles does not in its view constitute  fair use. They apparently feel
that even the briefest quotation of  poetry needs permission from the
estate and the payment of  fees.

Until we settle the issue, please refer to poems only in  abbreviated
form. For example, T** W*** L*** or P******K.

T.  Materer
List Owner
TSE

Possibly the dictum implicit in the landmark case of Arkell v  Pressdram
ought to be robustly emphasized here. ;-)

Regards

David