In the Chronicle of Higher Education, issue dated 4/18/08, "M.H.
Abrams: A Life In Criticism", by J.J. Williams.

http://chronicle.com/temp/email2.php?id=cn64z8bSg4WrsqnrtnqVpyyCcsc4mtwp

The article mentions his days as a grad student with I.A. Richards,
when Eliot was sending early versions of poems to him, where they
were put on the mantel for consideration.

It also mentions (apropos the recent comments on German at USC) the
foreign language requirements then for a degree in English Lit -
Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse, Old French and linguistics.

Some other comments are on the New Critics, and later, deconstruction.

The anecdote on his presence in indices is amusing.
--

Charles McElwain
33 Vernon Street
Somerville, MA 02145