The University of Utah presents
Metamorphoses, an International Colloquium on Narrative and Folklore
October 2-4, 2008

Metamorphosis…a change of form by natural or supernatural means (OED).
This colloquium addresses metamorphoses in literature and culture, both
as a theme and as a process of transformation, revision, and adaptation.
The conference is the third in a series of International Colloquia
focused on fairy tale studies and hosted by various institutions
throughout the US and Canada. The breadth of this year’s theme includes
subjects as wide ranging as print culture and linguistic anthropology.
Special interests for the conference include the cultural and material
history of fairy tales, the adaptation of stories orally or for the
stage, and folklore across cultures. We encourage submissions from
fields in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Arts; and welcome inter-
and cross-disciplinary studies.

This year at the University of Utah, the colloquium is part of a
year-long launch of BA and MA programs in Comparative Literary and
Cultural Studies (CLCS) in the Department of Languages and Literature.
For more information, see www.languages.utah.edu/languages/

We invite papers on topics including but not limited to:
Book history and genre adaptation
 From page to stage
Legends and cultural borders
Linguistic and semiotic transformations
Metamorphosis as theme or motif
Speech acts across borders
Stories bodies tell

Proposals (300 word maximum) should outline topic, as well as
theoretical and discisplinary framework. Please send proposals by June
1st to: Christine A. Jones, Associate Professor of French,

Colloquium Highlights:
Keynote Address
The keynote will be offered by Kathryn Hoffmann, Professor of French at
the University of Hawaii, Manoa. Prof. Hoffmann’s scholarship addresses
topics as wide-ranging as female bodies, witchcraft, anatomy, monsters,
birth defects, fantastic literature and fairy tales, gastronomy,
violence, and modern technology. Her most recent work includes a study
of the feminine in narratives of monstrosity.

Storytelling Performance
We are delighted to host one of the best-known storytellers in Utah as
Friday evening entertainment.

--
Dr. Karin Baumgartner
Assistant Professor German