Just read an interesting article on bat flight in the Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/science/04angi.html

We're supposed to get lots of snow in St. Louis today. Tired of winter!

I saw a peregrine tiercel on Washington Univ. campus yesterday. He was in
the quad and quite low in a branch. We have red-tails on campus as well,
eating our superfat squirrels.

Best,

Stephanie
http://world-bird-sanctuary.blogspot.com/

>> There were quite a few insects out, so maybe it was feeding.  Or maybe
>> we
>> disturbed it while we were hiking.  It was interesting to watch.
>
> Interesting.
>
> Eastern Red Bats are the most likely to be seen during the day, in
> Missouri,
> anyway. Bat detectors deployed to record continuously during the winter
> have
> recorded Red Bats during the day on several occasions. But it's dangerous
> for bats to be out in the daytime, as they are very vulnerable to being
> killed by birds. So it is most likely a sign that the bat is very hungry
> and
> desperate for a feed. Sometimes it could be an indication that the bat is
> sick, and rabies is always a slight chance, so you should always avoid
> contact with such animals unless you know what you are doing.
>
> Red Bats typically roost under leaves - eg in a Juniper. Therefore, it is
> relatively little effort for them to leave their roost for a short time
> and
> grab a meal if it presents itself. It also makes them more subject to
> disturbance, since they tend to be on the outside of the tree.
> Interestingly, if it gets really cold, they may drop down and crawl under
> the snow!
>
> Cheers, Chris.
>
> Chris Corben
> www.hoarybat.com

> Questions or comments? Email the list ownwers:
> mailto:[log in to unmask]

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO