This morning Steve Kinder and I headed down to Sugar Lake at Lewis & Clark SP to see what waterfowl might be around. We found nineteen species: Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, Ross's Goose, Cackling Goose, Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Hooded Merganser and Common Merganser. Several American Coot were also in attendance.

  Also seen was the Franklin's Gull. Other gulls in the area but not associating with the Franklin's were Ring-billed Gulls.

  About fifteen (15) Killdeer were seen along Mud Lake Road just north of Lewis & Clark SP and in the Lake Contrary back roads area.

  The feeders at Georgia and Frances cabin on Bean Lake yielded up: Red-bellied and Downy Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, Brown Creeper, Carolina Wren, Dark-eyed Junco (including the odd fellow with extensive white feathering around both eyes), Northern Cardinals, Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, Purple Finches, House Finches and American Goldfinches.

  We saw several Lapland Longspurs in the 41st Rd, Hammy Road, 36th Rd and Janston Rd "rectangle" south of Lake Contrary. Also a Northern Mockingbird was in a yard in the same general area.

  A nice morning to be out birding!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County