From: jim_mountjoy
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 4:46 PM
Subject: IBET "Black Brant" at Carlyle Lake? (Second hand news...)

I regret that I forgot to mention earlier what might be a tantalizing bit of
info. While I was
looking for gulls at the West Access Marina on Saturday, I spoke to a
fisherman who told me
that "three days ago" there had been a pair of "Black Brant" there. I didn't
quiz him as to how
he ID'ed them as 'Black' Brant as opposed to any other subspecies, but he
said he did a lot of
hunting and he obviously realized that the species was very unusual in
Illinois. He then
mentioned that he had been hunting "yesterday' and that the brant had flown
in, and that he
had been tempted to shoot them, but didn't. For what it is worth, there
might be some Brant
in the area (among the many thousands of other geese...) if anyone is
interested in following
up slim leads...

Jim Mountjoy
Galesburg IL

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO