> There were quite a few insects out, so maybe it was feeding.  Or maybe we
> disturbed it while we were hiking.  It was interesting to watch.

Interesting.

Eastern Red Bats are the most likely to be seen during the day, in Missouri,
anyway. Bat detectors deployed to record continuously during the winter have
recorded Red Bats during the day on several occasions. But it's dangerous
for bats to be out in the daytime, as they are very vulnerable to being
killed by birds. So it is most likely a sign that the bat is very hungry and
desperate for a feed. Sometimes it could be an indication that the bat is
sick, and rabies is always a slight chance, so you should always avoid
contact with such animals unless you know what you are doing.

Red Bats typically roost under leaves - eg in a Juniper. Therefore, it is
relatively little effort for them to leave their roost for a short time and
grab a meal if it presents itself. It also makes them more subject to
disturbance, since they tend to be on the outside of the tree.
Interestingly, if it gets really cold, they may drop down and crawl under
the snow!

Cheers, Chris.

Chris Corben
www.hoarybat.com

Questions or comments? Email the list ownwers:
mailto:[log in to unmask]