Birded with the family today. Locations included: Pin Oak CA, Shelby Co.;
Long Branch SP, Macon Co.; Fountain Grove CA, Linn Co.; Pershing SP, Linn
Co.; and Swan Lake NWR, Chariton Co.

CACHE/SPARKS contains the birding information for all but Swan Lake NWR.

http://mobirds.org/CACHE/trips.asp

http://mobirds.org/SParks/trips.asp

Swan Lake information:

We started on the southeast corner of the area at the entrance near Silver
Lake... This is the only portion of the refuge we birded as Silver Lake was
high and water covered the road about 3-4 miles in from the entrance... We
opted NOT to drive around to the north entrance (about 20 miles)... It would
be nice if a sign could be posted at the entrance notifying visitors that
roads are closed due to high water! Trip plans could be altered if the
information is known in advance... I've noticed that MODOT does the same
thing... They'll post a "Road Closed" sign a few hundred yards from the
location of the closure instead of posting a sign MILES back that says, Road
Closed ahead (Black Creek Bottoms or whatever...)...

Anyway... I suspect Swan Lake NWR is holding good numbers of birds if the
numbers of birds seen on Silver Lake is any indication:

In no order...

American Kestrel: 3
Bald Eagle: 1
Red-tailed Hawk: 5
Red-winged Blackbird: 190
Morning Dove: 1
Snow Goose: 8,500+
Canada Goose: 1700+
Horned Lark: 4
American Tree Sparrow: 20
Red-headed Woodpecker: 5
Wood Duck: 2
American Coot: 85
American Crow: 5
Killdeer: 1

Geese were on the water, flying just above the water, circling overhead, and
coming in in waves at great altitude. Impressive...

More time and access to the area would likely yield some very high numbers
for duck species too.

Weather is going to get cold and again!

Later,

Patrick

:ASM::::ASM::::ASM::::ASM::::ASM::::ASM:
* Patrick Harrison                     *
* Shelbyville, Shelby County, Missouri *
* [log in to unmask]                 A
* [log in to unmask]         S
* [log in to unmask]                M
* http://mobirds.org                   *