Rick, since the events in the movie are indeterminate with regard to whether they are being remembered or actually happened, the game's winner may have actually lost; his memory may be playing tricks, as memory is wont to do! There could then be, in the movie composed as a postmodern hall of mirrors, two winners! Diana> > I should have responded earlier but better late than never (maybe).> > > Diana Manister wrote (Wed, 20 Feb 2008):> > > > Gunnar, I've seen Marienbad many times, but not for a long while.> ...> > Also the card game in the clip. Someone must lose.> > It has been ages since I've seen the movie too but I think you are> talking about the game of cards where each of two players picks up> cards in turn until there is only one.> > Yes, one person must lose but if you go first and know how to move> you will always be the winner. If the other player goes first but> doesn't know the moves then the chances are that you will win.> > See the Wikipedia article on Nim (though there probably are clearer> explanations on the web about the winning strategy.)> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim> > Regards,> Rick Parker