It can be read as a portrait of the passion of the Christ.
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chokh Raj
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: The trouble with roses (worm? what worm?) Re: On the Making of a Simile

Of course, it remains only one of the readings -- and if I said it's the heart
of the matter, it's so to me -- that's MY response. I've read opinions no end
on this -- and I don't disagree with most. Ambiguous symbols -- yes, that's
the beauty of symbols. Of course, they're "complex".

Regards,

CR

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
This is only one possible reading. It has been read many ways, and the point is that these are ambiguous symbols, not one-for-one allegories.

Since I already noted that it could be identified with the snake, I wish to note that it does not have to be. The "heart of the matter," if there is one, is that the poem is complex and richly ambiguous in only a few words.
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>03/06/08 9:08 AM >>>
The heart of the matter !!!

CR

Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

//Rose symbolises Love.
The invisible worm is satan worm is like snake.
Lust destroys the Garden of Eden.//

Cheers,
Peter

Checked by AVG Free Edition.