It can be read as a portrait of the passion of the Christ.
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chokh Raj
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 11:24 AM
  Subject: Re: The trouble with roses (worm? what worm?) Re: On the Making of a Simile

  Of course, it remains only one of the readings -- and if I said it's the heart
  of the matter, it's so to me -- that's MY response. I've read opinions no end
  on this -- and I don't disagree with most. Ambiguous symbols -- yes, that's
  the beauty of symbols. Of course, they're "complex".

  Regards,

  CR

  Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    This is only one possible reading. It has been read many ways, and the point is that these are ambiguous symbols, not one-for-one allegories.

    Since I already noted that it could be identified with the snake, I wish to note that it does not have to be. The "heart of the matter," if there is one, is that the poem is complex and richly ambiguous in only a few words.
    Nancy

    >>> Chokh Raj 03/06/08 9:08 AM >>>
    The heart of the matter !!!

    CR

    Peter Montgomery wrote:

    //Rose symbolises Love.
    The invisible worm is satan worm is like snake.
    Lust destroys the Garden of Eden.//

    Cheers,
    Peter