Not necessarily.  the si,ile works the other way as well.
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Diana Manister
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 7:58 AM
Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile

But then wouldn't "laugh" be the subject of the sentence, with "foetal" modifying it?
His laugh then would be both foetal and irresponsible. Diana

Exactly. That's the point I've been trying to make.
Thanks for putting it so cogently, Peter.

CR

No. //A laugh is capable of showing undeveloped (foetal) characteristics.//
P.