Not necessarily.  the si,ile works the other way as well.
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 7:58 AM
  Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile

    But then wouldn't "laugh" be the subject of the sentence, with "foetal" modifying it?
    His laugh then would be both foetal and irresponsible. Diana

    Exactly. That's the point I've been trying to make.
    Thanks for putting it so cogently, Peter.

    CR

      No. //A laugh is capable of showing undeveloped (foetal) characteristics.//
      P.