Dear CR: Right you are, repulsive images can be very powerful in poetry. What I meant, and I should
have been clearer about what I meant, was that the image was repulsive in the way that really bad
writing makes a reader cringe.

Nobody ever admits that Eliot could make unfortunate choices in his writing. It's funny! Cheers, Diana

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:22:23 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile
To: [log in to unmask]

"He laughed like an irresponsible foetus." ('Mr. Apllinax')

-----

Two points with regard to your observation, Diana :

1. Where's the diktat for the artist to avoid repulsive images ?

2. How are we sure the artist's intent was not to repulse ?

Regards,

CR

Alex Freer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
At the risk of facetiousness, some of us were amused. The tone of the
comment is gently mocking in my ears.

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 19:49 +0000, Diana Manister wrote:

> //One is required to avoid repulsive images when the intent
     is not to repulse.//  Diana