Peter, simply delicious! D.> Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:42:30 -0800> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: OT - Kurt Vonnegut - a nytimes review> To: [log in to unmask]> > From: Chokh Raj> > Well, till something serious comes up --> =============================> Will this correspondence between Wyndham Lewis and Eliot help?> > 12th March, 1950> > My dear Eliot. It was very kind of you to send me a copy of "The Cocktail> Party."> I have now read it with great care and with unusual interest. I have seen it> objected> that your use of so popular a figure as the Mental Doctor was bad form,> but for my part I was rejoiced to meet you disguised as a psychopathic quack> About half way through I decided that it was in the nature of a large naval> gun> mounted on a Thames houseboat of shallow draught. This of course might> strike one as inartistic. But later on I learned that the big gun was part> of> the fixtures of the houseboat: and my last glimpse of this heavy> ordnance was its festive departure in the company of Julia (of Mrs.> Porter's family I surmise) to other cocktail parties. That it is a> success as a play (and I wouldn't know about that) is demonstrated> by its tremendous reception in New York. You will I expect be responsible> for the death of a number of libidinous Yankee damsels, for> surely U.S. Psychologists will not be slow to take the hint and will> dispatch the more dewy-eyed of their patients where they may be> swallowed by alligators or pecked to death by vicious tropical birds.> As I went along, I felt that quite apart from the question involved> in the blood sacrifice, there was much highly interesting material> being used in connection with the adulterous couple, who were in> adequate vessels but it could with advantage be drawn on for another> play; not exactly a comedy. I congratulate you on your work and its> great success in the U.S. This success will, I hope, be repeated here> in London.> Yours ever,> W.L.> > Faber and Faber Limited> 24 Russell Square London W.C.1> 13 March 1950> > My dear Wyndham,> > You are quite right  no one else has yet remarked that Julia is a niece of> Mrs. Porter, and that Reilly's mother was a Sweeney (but no doubt James J.> Sweeney will be looking into the matter). Possibly the houseboat is a> Mississippi houseboat> > Down the Mississippi, Baby, we will float along;> > In our little houseboat, maybe, life's one grand sweet song.> > I await statistics of the selfimmolation of young women from the Long> Island suburbs.> > Yours ever,> T.S.E.> =============================> The success of TCP in Saftesbury Ave. was equally impressive.> Eliot was apparently [if memory serves] the first to have simultaneous> successes in N.Y. and London of the same show.> > Note that in the play, Reilly is associated with a certain ONE-EYED Reilly.> (hint, hint).> Cheers,> Peter