CR I am shocked. Shocked! The line does not read "like an irresponsible foetus's father." The foetus is described as "irresponsible," an adjective that is redundant since no such creature as a responsible foetus exists. I think it's a bad line, despite your heroic attempt to imbue it with a meaning its syntax disallows! Diana

Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:28:48 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile
To: [log in to unmask]

He laughed like an irresponsible foetus.
Oh that's a very pregnant (I mean "potent"/"weighty") line --
with serious, censorious implications.  Although paraphrase
would be rather heretic, one suggestion could be the vicarious
pleasure entertained by a person who impregnates a woman
without owning any responsibility for the act.

CR

Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
At 09:56 AM 2/29/2008, Diana Manister wrote:

>That's a pretty bad line for a great poet to write. As if a foetus could
>be responsible!

Oh, Diana. You don't think that maybe that's the point? CR?

> As if
>a foetus could be seen in Eliot's time. Diana

Oh. Maybe you're kidding, right?

Ken A