From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chokh Raj
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile

Diana, the observations you've made so far are quite apropos.

Nevertheless, I hope, your initial objection to an irresponsible foetus is over.

As for the image of a foetus laughing, one will have to concede that it is plain
absurd, even if quite fanciful -- but not quite as reprehensible.

Presumably, the poet might have been struck by a foetal look on the face of
Mr Apollinax (BR) laughing irresponsibly ;-)   The image has no literal validity
otherwise.

Regards,

CR