From: Chokh Raj
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile

Diana, the observations you've made so far are quite apropos.

Nevertheless, I hope, your initial objection to an irresponsible foetus is over.

As for the image of a foetus laughing, one will have to concede that it is plain
absurd, even if quite fanciful -- but not quite as reprehensible.

Presumably, the poet might have been struck by a foetal look on the face of
Mr Apollinax (BR) laughing irresponsibly ;-)   The image has no literal validity
otherwise.

Regards,

CR
----- Original Message ----From: Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]>To: [log in to unmask]: Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:04:57 AMSubject: Re: On the Making of a Simile

//Peter, yes babies in bottles were around in Eliot's day, but I doubt very much if any of them would be laughing, irresponsibly or not.// Diana

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.21.4/1309 - Release Date: 3/3/2008 6:50 PM