CR I am shocked. Shocked! The line does not read "like an irresponsible foetus's father." The foetus is described as "irresponsible," an adjective that is redundant since no such creature as a responsible foetus exists. I think it's a bad line, despite your heroic attempt to imbue it with a meaning its syntax disallows! Diana

Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:28:48 -0800From: [log in to unmask]: Re: On the Making of a SimileTo: [log in to unmask]
He laughed like an irresponsible foetus.
Oh that's a very pregnant (I mean "potent"/"weighty") line --
with serious, censorious implications.  Although paraphrase
would be rather heretic, one suggestion could be the vicarious
pleasure entertained by a person who impregnates a woman
without owning any responsibility for the act.

CR
Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
At 09:56 AM 2/29/2008, Diana Manister wrote:>That's a pretty bad line for a great poet to write. As if a foetus could >be responsible!Oh, Diana. You don't think that maybe that's the point? CR?> As if>a foetus could be seen in Eliot's time. DianaOh. Maybe you're kidding, right?Ken A>TS Eliot on the laughter of Mr Apollinax :>>"He laughed like an irresponsible foetus.">>Some dark humor, this, grimly stated in a simile,>not redeemed by the suggestion of a metaphor.>>CR>>>Gunnar Jauch quoted :>"He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if >she were a garbage truck backing up.">>>Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. >Try >it now.>>>>---------->Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star >power. Play now!