What is the effect if one changes "apparition" to "epiphany"?
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Diana Manister
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 6:42 AM
Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile

Dear CR: I just read something about Pound's flirtation with spiritualism around the time he wrote this two-liner. The author, whose name I can't recall now, said that "apparition" was the operative word in the poem. Diana

Or think of these lines from 'In a Station of the Metro' :

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.

where a comparison is not explicitly tagged to a connective
such as "like" or "as" but is implied nevertheless.

Well, as in the previous context, a poet may look at a thing
and be reminded of something. For instance,

I looked at her and thought of (was reminded of)
heaven/hell/snow/mist/clouds/a gutter/a cigarette butt
-- and so on.

Of course I imply a comparison -- but do I engage
in a figure of speech -- a simile/metaphor ?
You may say, of course. Or you might downright
dismiss me as one indulging in irrelevance !

Thanks.

CR

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
just an observation

While reading 'Mr. Apollinax', I came upon this oblique way of comparison
which is akin to both a simile and a metaphor:

WHEN Mr. Apollinax visited the United States
His laughter tinkled among the teacups.
I thought.../ ...of Priapus in the shrubbery
Gaping at the lady in the swing.

Again,

I heard the beat of centaur's hoofs over the hard turf
As his dry and passionate talk devoured the afternoon.

I wonder if we can categorize these instances of comparison
as similes/metaphors.  And if we do, to which figure of speech
do they belong?

Any opinion?  Thanks.

CR

Checked by AVG Free Edition.