What is the effect if one changes "apparition" to "epiphany"?
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 6:42 AM
  Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile

    Dear CR: I just read something about Pound's flirtation with spiritualism around the time he wrote this two-liner. The author, whose name I can't recall now, said that "apparition" was the operative word in the poem. Diana

    Or think of these lines from 'In a Station of the Metro' :

    The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
    Petals on a wet, black bough.

    where a comparison is not explicitly tagged to a connective
    such as "like" or "as" but is implied nevertheless.

    Well, as in the previous context, a poet may look at a thing
    and be reminded of something. For instance,

    I looked at her and thought of (was reminded of)
    heaven/hell/snow/mist/clouds/a gutter/a cigarette butt
    -- and so on.

    Of course I imply a comparison -- but do I engage
    in a figure of speech -- a simile/metaphor ?
    You may say, of course. Or you might downright
    dismiss me as one indulging in irrelevance !

    Thanks.

    CR

    Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
      just an observation

      While reading 'Mr. Apollinax', I came upon this oblique way of comparison
      which is akin to both a simile and a metaphor:

      WHEN Mr. Apollinax visited the United States
      His laughter tinkled among the teacups.
      I thought.../ ...of Priapus in the shrubbery
      Gaping at the lady in the swing.

      Again,

      I heard the beat of centaur's hoofs over the hard turf
      As his dry and passionate talk devoured the afternoon.

      I wonder if we can categorize these instances of comparison
      as similes/metaphors.  And if we do, to which figure of speech
      do they belong?

      Any opinion?  Thanks.

      CR