And perhaps there was a foetal characteristic (ie undeveloped)in the mindset involved.
It;s meant to be a put-down of some intensity.
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chokh Raj
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 1:16 PM
  Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile

  Diana, the observations you've made so far are quite apropos.

  Nevertheless, I hope, your initial objection to an irresponsible foetus is over.

  As for the image of a foetus laughing, one will have to concede that it is plain
  absurd, even if quite fanciful -- but not quite as reprehensible.

  Presumably, the poet might have been struck by a foetal look on the face of
  Mr Apollinax (BR) laughing irresponsibly ;-)   The image has no literal validity
  otherwise.

  Regards,

  CR