Wouldn't it be irresponsible of a foetus to assert its
humanity by laughing?
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chokh Raj
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 1:28 PM
Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile

He laughed like an irresponsible foetus.
Oh that's a very pregnant (I mean "potent"/"weighty") line --
with serious, censorious implications.  Although paraphrase
would be rather heretic, one suggestion could be the vicarious
pleasure entertained by a person who impregnates a woman
without owning any responsibility for the act.

CR

Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
At 09:56 AM 2/29/2008, Diana Manister wrote:

>That's a pretty bad line for a great poet to write. As if a foetus could
>be responsible!

Oh, Diana. You don't think that maybe that's the point? CR?

> As if
>a foetus could be seen in Eliot's time. Diana

Oh. Maybe you're kidding, right?

Ken A