Wouldn't it be irresponsible of a foetus to assert its
humanity by laughing?
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chokh Raj
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 1:28 PM
  Subject: Re: On the Making of a Simile

  He laughed like an irresponsible foetus.

  Oh that's a very pregnant (I mean "potent"/"weighty") line --
  with serious, censorious implications.  Although paraphrase
  would be rather heretic, one suggestion could be the vicarious
  pleasure entertained by a person who impregnates a woman
  without owning any responsibility for the act.

  CR

  Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    At 09:56 AM 2/29/2008, Diana Manister wrote:

    >That's a pretty bad line for a great poet to write. As if a foetus could
    >be responsible!

    Oh, Diana. You don't think that maybe that's the point? CR?

    > As if
    >a foetus could be seen in Eliot's time. Diana

    Oh. Maybe you're kidding, right?

    Ken A