Nancy and Rick: I am so glad I asked the question. I thought TWL would be out of copyright everywhere. Quoting another poet's copyrighted work is ok in a review if the quote is brief. It can also be fair use if it is sampled in a satirical work or parody. But it seems like a bad idea to simply sample TWL in a serious literary work. Bummer. Diana

> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:53:39 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Copyright and TWL
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> The Cambridge guidelines I was sent define copyright in the UK rather differently from that in the US. It depends less on amount of copy and mainly on how it is used: one must immediately comment directly on the quotation and use it to make an argument.
>
> But quoting anything at all from Eliot is fraught with the danger of extremely high fees. We found it necessary to cut almost every word of quotation. I suggest that anyone planning to use any of it be very certain what the implications are for cost.
> Nancy

> > Many thanks Rick! What great information!
> >
> > What if TWL is "sampled" in a poem that is published in a book in the US,
> > and the publisher also distributes the book in the UK?
>

> Could be a problem. If TWL *WERE* still in copyright in the
> U.S. and you included about 6 lines in maybe a 60 line poem of
> your own you could probably get away with it in the U.S. under the
> "fair use" exclusions to the copyright act (but that is for the
> judge/jury to decide.) The U.K. has a similar exclusion called
> "fair dealing" but it is not as liberal.
>
> If I were the publisher and thinking about selling a book in the U.K.
> I would not even call in a lawyer; your poem would be excluded.
>
> Regards,
> Rick Parker
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

How well do you know your celebrity gossip? Talk celebrity smackdowns here.