Can I assume that TWL may be quoted freely (with attribution of course) with no fear of copyright infringement? The cut-off for copyright is 1923 now isn't it? I intend to work the passage below into one of my poems. Diana

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:39:35 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: EC IV
To: [log in to unmask]

Who is the third who walks always beside you?
When I count, there are only you and I together
But when I look ahead up the white road
There is always another one walking beside you
Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded
I do not know whether a man or a woman
-- But who is that on the other side of you?

'The Waste Land'

Gunnar Jauch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
IV
The wounded surgeon plies the steel
That questions the distempered part;
Beneath the bleeding hands we feel
The sharp compassion of the healer's art
Resolving the enigma of the fever chart.
    Our only health is the disease
If we obey the dying nurse
Whose constant care is not to please
But to remind of our, and Adam's curse,
And that, to be restored, our sickness must grow worse.
    The whole earth is our hospital
Endowed by the ruined millionaire,
Wherein, if we do well, we shall
Die of the absolute paternal care
That will not leave us, but prevents us everywhere.
    The chill ascends from feet to knees,
The fever sings in mental wires.
If to be warmed, then I must freeze
And quake in frigid purgatorial fires
Of which the flame is roses, and the smoke is briars.
    The dripping blood our only drink,
The bloody flesh our only food:
In spite of which we like to think
That we are sound, substantial flesh and bloodó
Again, in spite of that, we call this Friday good.
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=o-9gcauuboc
Happy Easter days to you all!

Love:

Gunnar