stand on the highest pavement of the stair

CHRIST THE LORD
The Road to Cana

By Anne Rice

A New York Times Book Review
By JANET MASLIN
Published: March 13, 2008

excerpts
 from the review

“The Road to Cana”...
succeeds in treating Yeshua’s humanity
as an essential part of his divinity.

[O]nce his pining for Avigail and regret about her imminent marriage are put to rest,
 the book is free to describe the majesty of Yeshua’s transformation.
 At the novel’s precise midpoint, Avigail throws herself at Yeshua
with the steam heat of Rice vampire, sobbing, “I am your harlot.”
Yeshua fights back his desires in order to refuse her.
 “You’re really the child of angels,” she realizes, in a tone of disappointment.
But the book is clear in purpose and bound for glory from this point on.

“I had to see it beyond hamlet or town or camp,” Yeshua says,
embarking on his road of no return.
 “I had to seek it where there was nothing but the burnt sand,
and the searing wind, and the highest cliffs of the land.
I had to seek it as if it was nowhere and as if it contained nothing
— when in fact it was the palm of the hand that held me.”
To put it more nervily, and of course Ms. Rice does:
 “Well, now I knew just what it meant to be the man who knew he was God.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/books/13masl.html

-----

A most befitting backdrop to Eliot's poetry !

CR