if the street were time and he at the end of the street

  -----

  a hole in the universe
  by Jacob Silverman

  This "hole" spans almost one billion light years
  and is six to 10 billion light years from Earth, in the Eridanus constellation.

  What makes this vast area of the universe a hole?
  The area shows almost no signs of cosmic matter,
  meaning no stars, planets, solar systems or clouds of cosmic dust.
   Researchers couldn't even find dark matter, which is invisible but measurable by
   its gravitational pull. There were also no signs of black holes that might have
   gobbled up the matter once present in the region.

  Other such holes, also known as voids, have been found before,
  but this find is by far the largest.
  Other voids amount to around 1/1000th the size of this one,
   while scientists once observed a void as close as two million light years away
  -- practically down the street in cosmic terms.

  http://science.howstuffworks.com/hole-in-universe.htm

  -----

            T. S. ELIOT'S NEGATIVE WAY
  by Eloise Knapp Hay (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1982)
   ... a characteristic "void" required by Eliot for his poetic art. ...

  -----

  The Waste Land's Mystical Void
  'T.S. Eliot: Mystic, Son, and Lover' by Donald J. Childs
  Published 1997 Continuum International Publishing Group
  ISBN 0485114933
  http://books.google.com/books?id=2KngBXT4fx4C&pg=PA107&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=0_0&sig=2ebN_TFUW041v-KXnEgyyM8kTJ0

  -----

  Shakespeare, Spenser, Donne: Renassance Essays             by Frank Kermode - 2005 - Literary Criticism - 306 pages
The poet has less being than the primaeval Nothing that preceded Chaos,
  which preceded Creation;
  he is a quintessence of Nothing: 'I am None.'

  http://books.google.com/books?id=nmIz8Fk_7soC&pg=PT140&lpg=PT140&dq

  -----

    EMBODYING THE GREAT VOID
  'Lord of the Three in One: The Spread of a Cult in Southeast China'
  by Kenneth Dean (Princeton University Press, 1998), p.307.

  http://books.google.com/books?id=01QOqLpZbfEC&pg=PA299&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=0_0&sig=k608OTLs-K7uVOpGafMXeE4mYsQ#PPA307,M1

  -----

  Except for the point, the still point,
There would be no dance, and there is only the dance.
I can only say, there we have been: but I cannot say where.
And I cannot say, how long, for that is to place it in time.
The inner freedom from the practical desire,
The release from action and suffering, release from the inner
And the outer compulsion, yet surrounded
By a grace of sense, a white light still and moving,
Erhebung without motion, concentration
Without elimination, both a new world
And the old made explicit, understood
In the completion of its partial ecstasy,
The resolution of its partial horror.

  T.S. Eliot, 'Four Quartets'

  -----

   CR