Thanks for your notes, Marcia -- interesting and valuable --
I'll concentrate on them and review the poem in the light of your
comments. Thanks again and with my best regards.  CR

Marcia Karp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear CR,
    Though the OED doesn't limit simile to a comparison employing like or as, this is the usual sense, isn't it?  Metaphor is applied more generally; it contain similes, among other comparisons.  (I find the relation between the Greek etymology of metaphor and the Latin of translate and transfer pleasing and informative.)

    A large portion of language is metaphor: the legs of a table, he meant the world to me, ... .  Robert Penn Warren and Cleanth Brooks are useful (and interesting) to read on this in their introduction to Understanding Poetry.  I don't know, though, what is troubling to you in your italicized phrases.  In the first, a comparison is made by juxtaposition.  You cut too much of the second passage to show how it works that way, too.  It is devoured in the third case that seems to me the obvious comparison, although you are right that the adjectives, too, bring together ideas.  Yet, dry and passionate are almost standard, unremarkable attributes of talk.  It is not Apollinax who is the marvel.  All the strangeness in the poem -- the novelty, the wonder (or paradox), the ingenuity -- promised in the epigraph, come, as I read it, from the narrator.  Any understanding of poem, including like an irresponsible foetus, must take into account the narrator's flair for (or fault in) language, and, too, the narrator's vivid imagination.

    I've never paid attention to his poem before.  Thank you, CR, for helping me begin to do that.

Best,
Marcia

Chokh Raj wrote:
[log in to unmask] type="cite">
just an observation

While reading 'Mr. Apollinax', I came upon this oblique way of comparison
which is akin to both a simile and a metaphor:

WHEN Mr. Apollinax visited the United States
His laughter tinkled among the teacups.
I thought.../ ...of Priapus in the shrubbery
Gaping at the lady in the swing.

Again,

I heard the beat of centaur's hoofs over the hard turf
As his dry and passionate talk devoured the afternoon.

I wonder if we can categorize these instances of comparison
as similes/metaphors.  And if we do, to which figure of speech
do they belong?

Any opinion?  Thanks.

CR