Dear Rick,

I can not give you even an estimate, but I know we were advised to avoid them altogether because of the very high costs.  When I wrote on Eliot before that, it had not reached such levels.  But it depends, clearly, on the estate.  I can quote MacDiarmid or others on "fair use" or for only small, reasonable amounts.  The costs of Eliot quotation (and even more problematic, the lack of access to masses of materials) are an issue of concern for many.   We had to edit out many and query for changes for most.  As an editor, I never ever just rewrite, so we explained what was required and requested or suggested changes.

To avoid the fees the best method seems to be to describe what is there and/or use some indirect quotation.  Since Cassandra and I were editing with Cambridge criteria, it was not our decision, and the Cambridge reader made clear that even what I had assumed fit all the criteria was far too much.  If you go through the book, you will see almost no actual direct quotation, but it does make clear what is said.  And what is there is almost never enough to call for block quotation but remains as a word or two within the lines.  When any is used, it is carefully made within the UK guidelines of being followed by direct argument using it.

Example from my article:

"In 'The Burnt Dancer,' the line 'Agony nearest to delight' asserts a moment of physical/intellectual fusion, however unworthy the form it seems to allow.  That is, the poem has it both ways: the letting go of sensuality and pleasure is made vivid but terrifying:  "Of what disaster do you warn us / agony nearest to delight?' That it is placed in the context of purgatorial fire exaggerates its significance . . . ."

There are a few more phrases but no block quotation, and it is imbedded in the argument.

>>> "Rickard A. Parker" <[log in to unmask]> 03/26/08 6:48 PM >>>
Nancy, you mentioned the high fees requested for permission to quote
from Eliot.  Could you give a figure or an estimate.  Of course it
could be possible that fees be different for different projects but
I'm just curious about what it might cost.

Also you mentioned the problems of editing to avoid the fees.  If you
(or others who have done this) would describe what you do I would
appreciate hearing it.  Do you reject a work because the number of
quotes is too high?  Do you edit them out and/or change them with the
author's permission or do you request the author to make the changes?
Any other items to add?

Thanks,
    Rick Parker