Yes, and there is always indirect quotation--the one time I love "that."
Nancy

>>> David   Boyd <[log in to unmask]> 03/25/08 2:15 PM >>>

[log in to unmask] writes:

It may  sound ok, but unfortunately I learned differently when we had even
tiny quotes  in the Cambridge book.  We had to remove them.  I still don't know
how to address the problem, but one point here is that Eliot's work is not
out  of copyright.  It continues until long after the poet's death, not just
the copyright date.  Hence the fact that no one can read Eliot's letters  to
Emily Hale, though they are long past any copyright date or the poet's  death.  I
thought it was 50 years, but I think the letters can not be  seen until 2019
or 2020.  And even TWL--from 1922--is still not out of  copyright.  It's held
by the estate, i.e., Valerie, and charges for even  slight quotations are very
high.  It's ironic for a poet whose own work  is a mass of lines from other
texts.

Tracking down permissions is one  of the long and tiresome tasks of editing.
I knew the number of years  once but no longer remember for certain.

I'm sure Rick can give us the  details on dates----Rick?

Nancy

Often only the actual quotations will be meaningful, but if  it  can be
otherwise, much is possible nevertheless. For example, and invoking  mandatory TSE
content, Peter Ackroyd masterfully circumvented the problem in his  TSE
biography and is quoted himself as saying having to accomplish  that made him an
expert in the art of precis and circumlocution !

Regards

David