Or think of these lines from 'In a Station of the Metro' :

  The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
  Petals on a wet, black bough.

  where a comparison is not explicitly tagged to a connective
  such as "like" or "as" but is implied nevertheless.

  Well, as in the previous context, a poet may look at a thing
  and be reminded of something. For instance,

  I looked at her and thought of (was reminded of)
  heaven/hell/snow/mist/clouds/a gutter/a cigarette butt
  -- and so on.

  Of course I imply a comparison -- but do I engage
  in a figure of speech -- a simile/metaphor ?
  You may say, of course. Or you might downright
  dismiss me as one indulging in irrelevance !

  Thanks.

  CR

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    just an observation

  While reading 'Mr. Apollinax', I came upon this oblique way of comparison
  which is akin to both a simile and a metaphor:

  WHEN Mr. Apollinax visited the United States
His laughter tinkled among the teacups.
I thought.../ ...of Priapus in the shrubbery
  Gaping at the lady in the swing.

  Again,

  I heard the beat of centaur's hoofs over the hard turf
As his dry and passionate talk devoured the afternoon.

  I wonder if we can categorize these instances of comparison
  as similes/metaphors.  And if we do, to which figure of speech
  do they belong?

  Any opinion?  Thanks.

  CR