just an observation

While reading 'Mr. Apollinax', I came upon this oblique way of comparison
which is akin to both a simile and a metaphor:

WHEN Mr. Apollinax visited the United States
His laughter tinkled among the teacups.
I thought.../ ...of Priapus in the shrubbery
Gaping at the lady in the swing.

Again,

I heard the beat of centaur's hoofs over the hard turf
As his dry and passionate talk devoured the afternoon.

I wonder if we can categorize these instances of comparison
as similes/metaphors.  And if we do, to which figure of speech
do they belong?

Any opinion?  Thanks.

CR