just an observation

  While reading 'Mr. Apollinax', I came upon this oblique way of comparison
  which is akin to both a simile and a metaphor:

  WHEN Mr. Apollinax visited the United States
His laughter tinkled among the teacups.
I thought.../ ...of Priapus in the shrubbery
  Gaping at the lady in the swing.

  Again,

  I heard the beat of centaur's hoofs over the hard turf
As his dry and passionate talk devoured the afternoon.

  I wonder if we can categorize these instances of comparison
  as similes/metaphors.  And if we do, to which figure of speech
  do they belong?

  Any opinion?  Thanks.

  CR