Chokh Raj wrote:

> visions and revisions !

Thanks for the interpretations on Mr. Apollinax CR.  I don't mind
seeing the struggle either.

My take: Mr. Apollinax laughed without a care.

In the poem his laughter was first described as tinkling then
described as "He laughed like an irresponsible foetus." But following
these images of high pitched laugh an image of deep laughter
emerges--Like the old man of the sea's. Who laughs even as "worried
bodies of drowned men drift down" upon him.

In both of the later images there isn't a human care or worry.  And
the images swing from even our earliest days to those when ancient.

Regards,
    Rick Parker

[A deep hearty laughter like the sound a dog makes just before ...]

WHEN Mr. Apollinax visited the United States
His laughter tinkled among the teacups.
I thought of Fragilion, that shy figure among the birch-trees,
And of Priapus in the shrubbery
Gaping at the lady in the swing.	        5
In the palace of Mrs. Phlaccus, at Professor Channing-Cheetah's
He laughed like an irresponsible foetus.
His laughter was submarine and profound
Like the old man of the sea's
Hidden under coral islands	        10
Where worried bodies of drowned men drift down in the green silence,
Dropping from fingers of surf.
I looked for the head of Mr. Apollinax rolling under a chair

Or grinning over a screen
With seaweed in its hair.	        15
I heard the beat of centaur's hoofs over the hard turf
As his dry and passionate talk devoured the afternoon.
"He is a charming man"--"But after all what did he mean"--
"His pointed ears.... He must be unbalanced,"--
"There was something he said that I might have challenged."	        20
Of dowager Mrs. Phlaccus, and Professor and Mrs. Cheetah
I remember a slice of lemon, and a bitten macaroon.