Is one required to interpret all similes perfectly literally? Surely the
allusiveness of Eliot's verse should be allowed in his devices too?
Whether or not the simile works as an absolute should not colour the
fact that the simile itself brings forth a flurry of images and (as you
have nicely illustrated) emotions. Since this is so, I do not believe it
is as "broken" or ineffectual as some may portray it.