[log in to unmask] writes:

David,  this is a fascinating question! Heeding Nancy's warning, I'm toying
with  paraphrasing some of Eliot's lines in my own poetry, but a bit of the
original  is needed to clarify the allusion. I'm wondering how many words in
succession  constitute a quotation. For example what if I write: "Let us go then
two by  two, double I and both of you" is that liable to the charge of
copyright  infringement?

The fine points of this law, especially when  considered for possible
international application, are  maddening.

Diana

Diana

Mentioned here as regards US law:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody)

In English copyright law there seems to be  precedent that '  a parody which
is in itself  original having its origin in the work parodied was held not to
infringe the  copyright in the work': Joy Music Ltd v Sunday Pictorial
Newspaper (1920) Ltd  - a 1960 case.

Regards

David