There is a paradox that the most personal can sometimes be very universal.
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Nancy Gish" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: Inventions of the March Hare ( Was Re: EASTER)

> He denied it (as in note 2) at a Harvard lecture quoted in the facsimile
edition on p.1--it was quoted from a Harvard lecture and recorded by Eliot's
brother:  "Various critics have done me the honour to interpret the poem in
terms of criticism of the contemporary world, have considered it, indeed, as
and important bit of social criticism.  To me it was only the relief of a
persolan and wholly insignificant grouse against life; it was just a piece
of rhythmical grumbling."