A nearby university is using a loud booming noise here between 4 and 6 p.m.
in an attempt to evict crows.

There's a pair of Great Horned Owls that appear to be setting up a nest a
few blocks from
the school. Any thoughts on whether the noise might present a problem for
the owls? I'm guessing not, because I barely hear it, and the owls
are near my place, but I didn't want to take any chances. They've used
distress
calls in the neighborhood previously, but I'd never heard of using booming
noises. I'd think
that would scare a few people too, so I'm thinking of contacting them to see
if they'd
be willing to try the distress tapes instead.

Jill DeWitt
Kansas City, MO

Great Backyard Bird Count...2/15 through 2/18
More information: http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/