Steve Kinder and I birded various areas in the Saint Joseph, Missouri, vicinity yesterday. We saw a pretty good representation of the sparrow family with American Tree, Song, Swamp, White-crowned, Harris's, White-throated Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos. While watching some of these sparrows at a residential feeder at Lake Contrary we suddenly noticed a female Northern Cardinal whose head was entirely WHITE (its crest was reddish, becoming more red towards the top of the crest). An interesting partially leucistic bird. ** For a moment I thought we were in some foreign land and witnessing some new species of bird! ;-)

  Later, down at Georgia and Frances's cabin on Bean Lake while we were watching the multitude of birds (which included many Purple Finch) coming to there various feeders, we noticed a "slate-colored" Dark-eyed Junco that had a very broad and distinctive white eye ring! That bird also gave us quite a start! Another very unusual bird, to say the least!

  * A Prairie Falcon was found near a section of farm land south of Saint Joseph, viz. the area bounded by Janston Road, 36 Road, Hammy Road and 41 Road.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County

ASM Website: http://www.mobirds.org/