I went to Whetstone Creek CA, Callaway Co., this afternoon.  I found
a Northern Shrike on the north side of the main road about 75 yards
east of the turn into the maintenance area (garage building and two
barns).  It was sitting atop a shrub, bobbing its tail.  It allowed
me to continue to the road ahead, where I stopped, got scope ready
and turned around.  I eased back to the original spot, now with the
bird on my side of the car.  Got 10 seconds of very good scope
viewing before it hit the deck.

I assumed that this is the same bird Kathleen (and earlier) Jean
reported from much further west/northwest in the refuge.  There were
many sparrows and juncos in the vicinity--not many left in the area
where the shrike was seen before, and a big red-tail was patrolling
that area.

BUT...on my return along the main road after going to the far end, I
was watching a Northern Harrier when I became aware of a bird sitting
on top of a shrub.  This was within a quarter mile of Jean and
Kathleen's sighting area.  As I swung the binoculars toward it, it
dropped and did not reappear.  It was definitely a shrike.

I did not get that clinching look, but I do think it was a Northern
Shrike, not a Loggerhead.  Could have been the same as I saw earlier--
the time difference would have allowed it to get from one place to
the other---but I don't think it would have had any reason to do
that.  So, I'm postulating that there may be two Northern Shrikes at
Whetstone now.

Note: there is also a Northern Mockingbird present.

Also went to McCredie Lake, Little Dixie, Bradford Farm, and Beef
Farm.  Did not see the Rough-legged Hawk Brad reported; did find
Canadas and Mallards south of Bradford.

BRRRRRRR!

Only bird of note was at Beef Farm.  A gazillion starlings, mostly at
the south end, but at the north end (near the feeding area closest to
the little lake with the ice-fishing nuts on it) was a relatively
small mixed flock--cowbirds, Common Grackles, Rock Pigeons, and one
Rusty Blackbird.

Full reports on CACHE later.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO