One year when I had a Brown Thrasher in my yard, I ground up chunks of raw
suet in a meat grinder so that they looked like white worms. I then
periodically scattered a few of them into the dead leaves the bird was
tossing around. I managed to keep him in the yard all winter. One bright day
in early April, there suddenly were two thrashers in the yard.

On another occasion, I kept a Brown Creeper in my yard with suet. Actually,
I did nothing special to keep the creeper. As noted in an earlier post, I
always placed some chunks of raw suet in a wire mesh container that I
attached to the trunk if a Hackberry tree and put other suet into a hanging
container. The Creeper's bill was too slight to peck directly at the raw
suet. However, the other birds scattered small flakes of it when they pecked
at it directly. Some of the flakes from the tree container landed in the
Hackberry's rough tree bark and were gleaned from the bark by the Creeper.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri

Questions or comments? Email the list ownwers:
mailto:[log in to unmask]