That's terrific, Mariel!  I opted to print mine out as I wanted to include
photos, which are optional.  I've had some questions from apartment
dwellers, and there are challenges to be sure if you don't own property.
Why not help at a school or community center and then nominate them for
Habitat Certification?  I discovered that there are so many individual yards
and public areas in Chesterfield that are involved that their whole
community is certified!  Now, that's pretty exciting, and does increase the
intrinsic value of the whole community.

There are other groups that meet and give assistance, such as Wild Ones.
http://www.for-wild.org/

There is a St. Louis chapter and a mid-Missouri chapter.  I've been on the
local tour before and everyone is so helpful and encouraging.  (Abigail
Lambert's husband, Scott Woodbury, leads the St. Louis chapter.)  I'm going
to join again and try to get to more meetings this year.

Another terrific book that I found is called:

Birdscaping in the Midwest:
A Guide to Gardening with Native Plants to Attract Birds
By Mariette Nowak

The author concentrates on the 8 state midwest area and the book is
absolutely full of information.  There are various websites to find it on
and differing prices, but I think I paid $27 for it locally.

I really like Mariel's idea of presenting a workshop at an ASM meeting.

Locally, WGNSS Ornithology group in conjunction with NABA (North American
Butterfly Association)  is doing a program on Tuesday, April 8, 7:00 pm at
Powder Valley. From the WGNSS newsletter:

    "Gardening for Butterflies and Hummingbirds."  Anne McCormack, Dennis
Bozzay and Tom "Terrific" Krauska will share what works for them in thier
suburban gardens, which have an impressive track record for attracting
butterflies and birds. Learn about caterpillar food plants, butterfly nectar
plants, as well as the use of native plants for your own garden.

I've seen all of their gardens, and they're not large, but full of plants
and wildlife!

There really is a lot of information out there, and I hope more of us will
do at least one thing this year to improve habitat.

(formal disclaimer- nothing personally gained by mentioning books or sites!)

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis Co MO