Margy,

  Habitat restorations certainly is an important activity.  I'm curious as to how strict they are on the definition of a backyard.  I live in an apartment so I don't have my own backyard but thought that there may be some public places that with permission could get such certification and would be great birding spots to boot.  Any ideas on if this has been done?

  Scott Laurent
  Kansas City, Missouri

Margy Terpstra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  We are now into our eleventh year here at this house. I have often thought about applying for Backyard Habitat Certification through the National Wildlife Federation, and finally did it this week.

As I went through it, I thought this could be another challenge to fellow Missouri birders. The process is simple, and it is easy to do it online. It made me think about everything we had already done for our habitat, and really got me excited to do more! Specific on the 'To Do' list are: removing more honeysuckle and euonymous, rebuilding a brush pile, putting in more natives around the pond and getting serious about the wet meadow planting.

If each of us did just one more thing this year to our own yard, we would be improving habitat for the birds. It could be as simple as adding a small water feature or planting a Serviceberry.

Yesterday, we began by rebuilding the brush pile with fallen limbs and a bit more honeysuckle. Then, Dan mentioned a 7' white pine he had seen on Lindeman that must have fallen off a truck. We walked over and dragged it home to add to the pile! Now, I can't wait for some snow to see what takes cover there.

We have had 136 bird species in our yard, 102 at the bubbler, and already 21 at the new pond/stream. I've got spring fever! In the meantime, we'll be working on improving our habitat here at home. So, any takers to my challenge?

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis County, MO

* *
* To access the Audubon Society of Missouri Web *
* Site: http://mobirds.org *