Scott Laurent asks for birding spots in K.C., mentioning that he already
knows about Burr Oak Woods, James A. Reed and Lake Jacomo.

There are several well-known places on the on the Kansas side that he does
not mention:

1. Wyandotte County Lake Park. All times of year.

2. Lake Shawnee Mission Park. All times of year.

3. State Line Road between 64th Street & 63rd St. Good for dickey bird
migrants. Park at the First Lutheran Church and walk along the creek and
woods on the Kansas side.  Over 30 species of warblers and 11 species of
flycatchers have been seen in that little area, many of them by Mick McHugh,
who lives there and walks it daily.

4. Antioch Park at 65th and Antioch. Very good for dickey birds.

5. Overland Park Arboretum. 179th between Antioch & Switzer. Very good for
dickey bird migrants, Pileated Woodpecker, Barred Owl, etc.

6. Ft. Leavenworth. Large trees along the river bottom and great upland
forest N. and W. of the base make it a great place for warblers in Spring,
including breeding Yellow-throated. The bottomland area also seems to
produce Worm-eating W. each spring, although they are probably in transit,
breeding on the bluffs on the other side of the river. Zimmerman & Patti's A
GUIDE TO BIRD FINDING IN WESTERN MISSOURI (U. of Ks. Press, 1988) tells you
how to bird Ft. Leavenworth.

7. Meyer Turf Farms between 215th and 199th and Switzer and Pflumm. Good for
Uplands and Buff-breasted Sandpipers in late summer. Also have produced
longspurs in winter.

8. Sprint Campus. Nesting Scissor-tailed Flycatchers.

On the Missouri side:

1. You might check out Forest Hill Cemetery at Troost and Gregory. I believe
Merlin has wintered there.

2. Mt. Washington Cemetery in Independence. Large and quite nicely forested
with big trees along the stream. Very good for warblers and other migrants
in spring. Usually produces Yellow-crowned Night Heron and Broad-winged Hawk
in spring.

3. La Benite Park.  Nice trail East along the Missouri River, starting at
M-291 is good for dickey bird migrants, spring and fall. Probably safe
during the day time, but it does create anxiety for me because it is Kansas
City's traditional location for dumping murder victims into the river (an
activity usually done after dark).

4. Swope Park.

5. Minor Park.

6. The downtown airport used to produce Upland Sandpipers, Short-eared Owls,
Rough-legged Haws and sometimes longspurs in season. I have seen a Snowy Owl
at the Fairfax Airport in KS, so the downtown airport should be a good place
to check for that species.

7. Scott probably knows about Weston Bend S.P.    Bean Lake, Little Bean
Marsh and Lewis & Clark S.P. are not far, and they fill in the shorebirds
and marsh birds on the trip list.

8. Scott probably knows about Cooley Lake, Sunshine Lake and Martha LaFite
Thompson Sanctuary.

9. The only sewage lagoons I have had results at in the K.C. area are the
Excelsior Springs sewage lagoons, which have produced Oldsquaw a few times.
Mike Beck says he sees shorebirds at the Buckner sewage lagoons and the fish
farms near Buckner, but, except for one Willet, all they have produced for
me have been peeps, yellowlegs, teal, Shovelers and the occasional Great
Egret.

10. Country Club Park, 31st & Norton, Independence. I used to live near that
tiny park and have seem lots of migrants there. I still drop in each year
once or twice in May and seem to pick up Yellow-crowned Night Heron in the
stream most times when I do.

There are others, but these should give Scott a good start.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri