MObirders:
I noticed the postings on wintering robins from Bill Eddlemann, Larry
Herbert et al.  On occasion, the Eastern Robin (Turdus migratorius) will
congregate in huge flocks during the winter in Missouri.  Back in the
mid-1960's a flock of over one million birds was using a cedar grove on a
farm in Washington County.  I was a high school senior, birding nut already
and intrigued by what all those robins were finding to eat in the dead of a
Missouri winter I set out to do a little research.  With the help of my then
biology teacher, Jim Jackson, I devised a hypothesis and a research plan.
The result was a paper published in the Bluebird.  If anyone has an archive
that reaches that far into the dusty past the results were interesting.
Perhaps the ASM historian or the Bluebird editor has access to those old
issues--my copies have long ago disappeared.
Donald R. Hays
Union, Missouri