Hi all,
Ever since the Short-eared Owls (yes, they are still there) arrived at
Nixon Farm, 5 miles NW of the Palmetto region of Greene County, I have
been convinced that I can pull something rare out of the short winter
grasses and agricultural fields of Palmetto. Before I head out, I dream
of Prairie Falcons, Lapland Longspurs, Smith's Longspurs, or perhaps
another Northern Shrike.
And so, the last two days I have spent part of my time searching for
that rare bird, whatever it is. Even though I have not uncovered that
super special casual or accidental species, I have managed to spot a
couple of bird species that I would consider rare for our immediate
Springfield area. Here are my favorite finds of the weekend.

Cackling Geese   on FR 166
Rusty Blackbirds on FR 241
Harlan's Hawk   Nixon farm
Loggerhead Shrike  on FR 186

For photos of rusty and cackling and my blog report, go to
www.conservationconversations.blogspot.com

Good Birding,
Greg Swick
Ozark, Missouri