This afternoon I saw a flock of about 200-300 Great-tailed Grackles
on the ground near the north entrance to the beef farm along the
south side of Roosevelt (Sugar Grove) Road).  They were among the
small buildings just west of the entrance to the farm.  Earlier  I
found the Cackling Geese with Canadas at the small pond.  While  I
was there, Brad Jacobs came along and spotted a Greater White-fronted
Goose on the bank above the pond, among some Canadas.

On Jan 13, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Jean Leonatti wrote:

> On a tip of Great-tailed Grackles at South Farm- Beef Farm complex,
> we drove
> out there mid-morning Saturday.  We were able to locate a small
> flock, mixed
> in with a HUGE flock of blackbirds/starlings/pigeons at the
> University farm
> property that is located behind the Channel 8 studio and radio
> tower.     We
> also had a nice flock of Cackling Geese, mixed in with a much
> larger flock
> of small, medium and large Canada Geese - great comparisons - at
> the small
> pond located on the Beef Farm (just east of the R-2 South Farm
> Lake) off of
> Roosevelt Road.    After seeing their petite bodies, small bills
> and steep
> foreheads - several comments were made "I think I have mis-
> identified these
> before - these are really small !"
>
> Did locate the 14 swans at Pool 2 at Eagle Bluffs, and may have
> seen the
> immature Red-shouldered Hawk that Robert referred to earlier; he
> was flying
> (the hawk, not Robert) and we could clearly see the window
> crescents, but
> thrown by the overall brown appearance, until we started to think
> "immature".
> Jean Leonatti
> Boone County, Columbia, MO

Bill Goodge