Today during lunch, I observed a most odd and rather unlikely drive-thru dinner guest at the McDonalds here in Dexter, MO.

I was sitting in the drive-thru lane when a shadow, rising into and dropping out of view, caught my eye. Thinking it was a piece of dirty paper blowing in a whirlwind fashion, I shrugged it off. Glimpsing it a second time rise up and drop out of sight behind the drive-thru menu, I caught the silhouette of a nighthawk-like shadow. My interest now thoroughly piqued, I left my parked truck to look around the menu board. There sat a Sharp-shinned Hawk, plain as the cloudless day, sitting on top of a shrub not more than 10 feet from me and the passing drive-thru cars.

I'm guessing it was perched there waiting for unsuspecting resident House Sparrows. It definitely adds a new take on "Fast Food", and it would appear that McDonalds has more food items than advertised on their menus.

I will try to have the photo of the menu board and SSHA loaded on my webshots pages later tonight, if interested.

Just an odd sighting!

Good New Year Birding!
Chris Barrigarhttp://community.webshots.com/user/photosbychris