Thanks to everyone who contributed to this dialog.  I appreciate everyones efforts to draw a Kansas City Circle.  I also appreciated the comments reminding us to keep the listing friendly.  In the end this is suppose to fun.

The idea of localizing the lists was to address the increasing cost of transportation due to soaring gas prices.  While there are those whose daily dealings allow or require them to travel the state, others may have to stay more local in their quest for birds.  There are also others who for health or family reasons are not able to participate in a statewide list yet would enjoy the friendly competition of listing.  In the end localizing the list is designed to keep the fun in birding as times and situations change.

As a solution I would suggest that we all keep county lists and that any "circles" we draw include whole counties.  We can then compare our lists and encourage each other in this friendly non-competitive, competition.  This will allow us to draw our circles as large or as small as we individually would like.

For some the Kansas City "Circle" would include only Jackson, Clay and Platte counties.  For others it might include Buchanan, Holt and other counties as well.  That way we could challenge and support each other to find more birds in those counties that we choose to go.

This allows us to "compete" but each in their own way and within their own limits. This solution is also easily supported by eBird which automatically develops lists by county.  I currently have only birded in Jackson County so far this year and I have 30 species.

So, what do you say?  Why not post our county lists on Mo-Bird from time to time.  We could discuss and draw our own circles, keeping it light fun and friendly?

Scott Laurent
Kansas City, Missouri
Jackson County